Saturday, December 25, 2010

May your soul feel it's worth.

Merry Christmas! I am at home celebrating with my family. I love this time of year. One of the best parts is the Christmas Eve Service. Christmas services can be powerful moments. Just like candlelight service at camp, when done right, it's a very moving thing!

Open Door's service tonight was very cool! I walked away with my soul stirred. The sanctuary was decorated with 30 white paper lanterns. They had four intelligent lights on the stage edge that shot up to light the lanterns and then changed the colors of fixtures for each song. It was very cool and classy. Probably a variation is going to show up at camp next summer.




The major highlight is at the service they handed out well over 1000 candles to the worshipers. In about 3 minutes time, at the end of the service the flame from the Christ candle was transfered to every candle in the room. A powerful metaphor of how God working in one of us can quickly transform a community. Christ brings light to the darkness.

There is a lot of darkness, hurt and pain in the world. That was true before Christ was born, as well as after. Today we celebrate the fact that God did the only thing he could to rectify this situation, he entered the world as a person. Reflecting on the how and why of this only leaves me stupefied. All, I know is that when Christ was born, everything changed. The rules to the game became different and because of the consequent actions, Sin's curse has lost its grip on me, and you, and us.

Today I celebrate a God, who is big, powerful, mighty, just and loving. So, loving of his creation that he would sacrifice what was dearest to him to save us. God did not abandon his beloved. This is worth Celebrating that Christ is with us. Emmanuel indeed.

Ephesians 5:8-10 - For you were once darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Live as children of light (for the fruit of the light consists in all goodness, righteousness and truth) and find out what pleases the Lord. 

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Tony. I had a similarly stirring moment at the Christmas eve service I attended. There is something about a candle lit room...

    ReplyDelete