Monday, April 11, 2011

Discipline Adoption

One Saturday a month, I meet with a small group of guys to talk about issues of purity, discipleship and being in relationship with Christ. We're reading through the book:  Disciplines of a Godly Man. The study group is awesome and chalk full of pressing conversation. The content of the book is valuable discusion foder. Hughes makes a few good points, but sometimes the practices that he preaches are too conservative for my tastes. In my humble opinion, his perspective of  discipline can get in the way of experiencing the fullness of Christ. One particular passage, on relationship with women outside of a spouse is particularly troubling for me. I'll blog about that passage at a later date. That being said, I think reading books you don't agree with for discusion groups is valuable practice.

Out of our groups discusion from this Saturday, I felt convicted to spend more time memorizing scripture. The truth of scripture is something that I want to become core to my identity and to be something that I can cling to in all moments of life. I'm going to start memorizing one verse of scripture every month. Many people who start this goal go for one a week. I think doing it in a bit longer time frame for me will do two things:

1. Make the goal attainable. One week sounds like a burn-out rate.
2. Let me really chew on one piece of scripture for a month.

At my friend Mike's suggestion, I'm going to change my default page in my web browser to the piece of scripture I choose as a subtle reminder to read that passage, as well as making it easily accessible to read

My first verese will be:

But God showed his great love for us by sending Christ to die for us while we were still sinners.  Romans 5:8 NLT

Thoughts on other verses for the year?

1 comment: